Thursday, December 16, 2010

Burger Adventure: 2010 - K-State's Aggieville and So Long Saloon

Time for another food flashback! This time to February, 2010 and the place is Manhattan, Kansas :-).

February 12, 2010 - Friday
6:08 pm: Aggieville @ K-State is pretty awesome. Having a Guinness and about to order a great burger at a true burger / bar joint.... ahhhhh life is good again!

6:25 pm: Today's food blog starts at So Long Saloon (located in Aggieville, across the street from K-State University) with their Chipotle Raspberry and Black bean Dip topped w Zesty Cheese. I'm pleasantly surprised at this Manhattan, KS appetizer. Served authentic Mexican style in a ceramic skillet, this appetizer has a wonderful smoky flavor and is surprisingly light. Can't wait for the resist temptation burger!


6:33 pm: Did I mention the chips? Served generously in a side basket, these consist of Corn Tortillas cut into strips and lightly fried to perfect crispness. Definitely San Antonio grade! Yum!


6:39 pm: The "Resist Temptation" burger has arrived! Luckily I switched from a hearty Guiness to a much lighter Long Island... LOL! The burger is a 1/3 lb'er w bacon, cheese and a temptuous fried egg on top... wow ... This burger has reportedly won a statewide competition and frankly I believe it! Burger goodness! This burger's layers are so evident, it does it an injustice to describe them when such a succulent picture is available. Trust me, the taste matches the visual. :-) I already ate the other half in case you are wondering :-).


6:52 pm: I've reached for napkins! The feeling of fullness begins to overcome me. If I stop now I think I'm good calorie-wise until Tuesday. But how could I face myself in the morning? I must go on, for you my reading faithful! :-D

7:02 pm: Finished! I must say I give So Long Saloon a 4.75 out of 5 stars. A cozy bar and grill, it is enhanced by the apparent no smoking ordinance in place for Manhattan, KS. The decor has a definite Southwest/Mexican feel with Dia de los Muertos skeletons sitting above the bar :-).


There was a 20 minute wait when I got there and that grew to about a 45 minute wait. That is with most other eateries on the block only half filled... the locals know about this place! The waitstaff is wonderful, as would be expected in a college hangout that is Aggieville. :-)











7:05 pm: It is time to move on and see what else Aggieville has to offer.




7:19 pm: Why am I so dizzy? LOL! My poor body can't take the culinary intake like it once could :-(.

7:23 pm: K-State Wildcat'rs know how to travel in style ... if you look closely, that is a really tall bike he is riding!



7:34 pm: And they know how to party! Although they are dressed like it is 72 degrees instead of 32!!! Brrrrrrr!!!!








8:03 pm: Obviously I won't fit in with this crowd dressed as I am. Time to go undercover so that I blend in with the crowd. I picked up a K-State hoodie and put on my backup prescription glasses.



8:17 pm: The dizziness has subsided, time to make up for forgetting to order the Cowboy Cookie at So Long Saloon. Radina's Coffee Shop looks highly promising!


8:24 pm: I was right! Ordered the Hot Chocolate and they make it for you in a REAL MUG!!! Fresh made whipped cream on top makes this the perfect "warm me up" after being out in the freezing cold!!! Radina's is on the edge of Aggieville and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for coffee or my personal preference, hot chocolate! I give it 4.6 out of 5 stars!


8:43 pm: K-State'rs take their pets everywhere, even to Radina's :-).


9:32 pm: All good things must come to an end :-(. I now bid goodbye to the little apple. However I must say I was quite impressed with KState, Aggieville and the quaff that defines the little apple! I give it an overall rating of 4.5 stars out of 5! Time for one last drink, a Shiner Bock draft (amazing they have such a great Texas beer up here!) and a Goodbye! to everyone from the bartender!

No comments:

Post a Comment